Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Someone's fond memories

When I was a girl, I was in Girl Scouts briefly. I don't really remember much about it, except that one Christmas season we went Christmas Caroling at a nursing home. I vividly recall the smell in the place. I also vividly recall standing outside puking into the grass. The smell made me sick...at least that is what I recall...who know, maybe I had a bug!

I have an aversion to nursing homes, hospitals, or any other places with "that smell". I say I have good reason for it. ;-)

I also have a fairly large "comfort bubble". I tolerate hugs from people I know, and cringe at even being touched by people I don't know.

So last night I went Christmas Caroling with my church at a nursing home. Before we set out, our Pastor tells us to smile and shake hands and provide lots of touch...because many of these people don't get many visitors.

Talk about leaving my comfort zone.

I marched around singing, Peter in tow, working very hard to smile, provide eye contact to the residents...smile some more. I was very conscientious of the position of my mouth! I even worked hard to keep my eye brows up...just so I didn't have a "grimace smile". I was rather proud of myself for doing THIS much, and decided to take it a step further by wishing some residents Merry Christmas as I passed by. I EVEN...ready for it? I *EVEN* shook some hands! YES WAY!

It was a very special time for me, and I hope for many of the residents. This year was different from last year in that many of the residents came out of their rooms and crowded around us to hear us sing. There were even a few that followed us in their wheel chairs!

During our last song, there was a lady sitting in front of me. It was clear she was trying to get my attention. I tried pretty hard to look everywhere but there. (Direct contact? I was fine shaking hands as we passed, wishing people Merry Christmas...but a conversation?) I was pretty successful until William says "Hey Miriam, that lady is trying to get your attention!" Thanks genius!

So I kindly go over, prepared to expand my "comfort zone" even further...hoping it wouldn't burst! I held her hand and said "Hello! Merry Christmas!" I only heard about half of what she was saying, because everyone was singing. She said it had been a long time since she had seen me (clearly confusing me with someone else), and asked if that was my baby (referring to Peter). I told her yes, that was my baby. Then she said that he MUST be a good baby if he was my baby. I smiled and told her that he was. She kept talking, and I nodded, smiled and interjected a "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" periodically. Really...a conversation!?!? The song seemed like it took FOREVER, as I was really ready to move on. Just as we were leaving she offered to hold Peter for me. I smiled, politely declined and again wished her a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Whatever memory the woman recalling seemed to be a good one. She was so happy I was there, and I believe I made her day (even if all I said was merry Christmas!). I was happy that I could help her recall a happy time in her life, even if I wasn't the person she was remembering. And as I left, I was extremely happy that my comfort zone didn't burst before I could get the heck out of there. (Yes. I high tailed it!)

Overall, the caroling experience was a good one. It was sweet and reminded me the REAL reason for Christmas...to celebrate the birth of our King. What better way to do that than to sing a few songs to some people who don't get many visitors? TO some people who could use a little hope in their life?

And before I sign off...I have one cute Rebekah story. Rebekah does not like hospitals either. Medical equipment pretty much just freaks her out. So we talked to her about how we were going to sing to older people, and some of them are sick and my look scary...but not to worry. Just sing! :-) And William started talking about some of the other church members that would also be there. "And Jason and Jeannie will be there..." Rebekah's eyes got big "Jason and Jeannie are sick?" HA HA HA...no dear, that isn't what we meant! But we completely understood her logic!

She did great by the way. William had to carry her the entire time, but she shook hands with the best of them. And so did Peter...he was a HUGE hit among the residents. (Who doesn't like an adorable baby?) He let people hold his hands and smile at him. He didn't smile much, but I was just relieved he didn't burst into tears as he is prone to do with strangers!

1 comment:

Charity said...

Good for you! You done good, Mama. I'm proud of you!