Pages

Friday, February 27, 2009

Very funny God...

A few weeks ago my friend's husband lost her job. This is the friend who watches Peter for us. She (rightly so) worried about it, and felt like she really needed to get a better paying job. So we waited for Peter to walk...

...and waited...

...and waited some more.

Finally, after some agonizing discussion I started looking for new care arrangements for Peter. If you have never looked for care for your child, then you have been spared the stress. It is a very difficult process. I scoured the city for about a month before we found Rebekah's current daycare (which we adore). It takes time to find something that fits your needs.

Every time I'd tell someone about my plight, I'd hear "Well we'll pray for Peter to walk!" This certainly seemed like the obvious answer. But I had this nagging feeling...I did not want to put God in a box. I wanted to give God the freedom to answer my plight in the way He saw fit for my family. So I prayed that God would take care of Peter. And every time someone said "Well we'll just pray for Peter to walk!" I'd just smile and thank them for their prayer. Prayer is prayer! God knew what I really needed.

Last week I thought I may have found the place for Peter. I toured the home daycare center (HDC) and talked with the lady who ran it. She was sweet. Rebekah and her daughter had a blast playing while we chatted. I really felt though like I needed to see her while taking care of kids. So I told her she was my top pick but that I really needed to see her "in action". So I scheduled a time to come back. Today actually.

Last night I got a call just before 8:00. "So sorry, but some friends needed emergency care...the spots have been filled." My heart sank. Back to square 1! I've been here before. Childcare searches (for me) are heart wrenching and emotional. I only want the best for my babies, and it is so difficult in determining that sometimes!

I gave William a list of places to call and gave myself the day off from thinking about it...not that I had time. Work has been crazy this week. Around 11:00 I'm sitting behind my computer starring at a spreadsheet...when I hear my phone beep. Sometimes, for some reason, my phone simply doesn't ring. Turns out I had a voicemail.

"Hi Miriam! I just wanted to let you know that Peter took a few steps today! He has done it several times!"

All I can say is that everything with Peter appears to be dramatic. I guess it should be no different for this momentousness milestone.

Peter walked!!!

When I picked him him B sat him down and he toddled right over to me...about 4 steps. (Those by the way were his "official" first steps...working mom's mantra and all!)

William called the director at Rebekah's daycare and Peter is now penciled in the week of March 16th. She was waiting for me when I went to pick up Rebekah.

"I hear you have good news! How does March 16th sound?"

Music to my ears...

Incidentally, there was a man whom I did not know in her office. He recognized Peter. "This is the little boy who broke his leg, isn't it?" Yep yep...*sigh* Peter I guess already has a reputation.

Whenever there is a prayer request, I think it is important to give God the room to move in the direction He sees fit. Although in the end the answer was for Peter to walk, faith for me was simply knowing that somehow my little boy was taken care of. It really was my duty to search for childcare arrangements. Anything less, and I would not have been exercising my faith properly. Faith is trust. Faith is also an action. Very similar to love...telling someone you "love" them isn't nearly as effective as demonstrating it. Faith too become effective when you demonstrate it.

Thank you God for answer another prayer. I am blessed.

2 comments:

Janette said...

YEAH -- that's awesome!!! Way to Go, Peter! Way to Go, God!! :)

Charity said...

Thank you. Thank you for reminding me not to put God in a box. (I won't mention which SNL clip just popped in my head. Do not youtube it). I TRY to keep praying and trusting that God is working on my solution and not just "off doing the dishes" as Anne Lamotte says. It's tempting for me to just pray for a job. (A full time job with great benefits, close to home, oh yes, and with a nice salary so I can keep my home). But you're right. I will not put God in a Box. I will TRUST. I will have FAITH. Thank you. And a HUGE "yeah!", for Peter!!
xoxo
Your Friend