Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Even if I wanted too...

I'm working on loosing weight. I really hate stating that, because when people know they stare at you. "Well...have you lost any yet?" And each day that goes by I'm reminded of my failure.

However, I have to state it to tell this amazing (and sadly comical) story.

I've been reading a book (on and off) called "Never Say Diet" by Chantel Hobbs. She talks about how she lost something like 250 lbs and has kept it off for years now. I really like her realistic approach to it all. It is a very honest approach.

Phase 1 of this approach is to establish a regular exercise habit. I've mostly done that...I've been working on M-F in the mornings. I've had a few bumps, but have stuck to it since Jan. I've been using the Wii (at first Wii Fit, and then EA Active).

Phase 2 was to work on changing your diet - to give up some area that you struggle with. She recommends giving up all calorie drinks especially (because you don't get much bang/buck). I don't drink TOO much other than water, but I have eliminated the exceptions...the biggest being milk. Sure I drink it, but not as often as I used too. I actually discovered I was the biggest milk drinker in our house! We went from buying 4 gallons of milk/wk to maybe 1!! Oh my...

I also gave up sweets. I've been pretty good about this. I passed up cookies a few weeks back, cake at a baby shower and countless mints at various restaurants.

I've learned a couple things through this process. The first, it has really made me realize how many sweets I eat. Secondly, I've realized I often put them in my mouth without even thinking about it. William has often caught me just in the nick of time.

I have been working on a new training program at work. This week I've had to teach a couple classes. We have had cookies at all our classes...it has helped get attendance.

I thought all weekend about the cookies on Monday. I thought "I don't know if I can walk left over cookies back to the lab without eating one. I don't think I can do it a second time." We all have moments of weakness...

Monday we had network issues, causing many students in one particular area to have little to do. So their supervisor sent them to the class. My class ended up being so full that there weren't any cookies left over. Problem solved.

Today I had another class. I was so very thankful that any cookie-eating decisions were taken out of my hands. What about today? Would I be able to be strong enough today? I wasn't sure if there was a white-chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie, that I'd be able to resist it. And who was I really kidding anyway? A chocolate chip cookie or a chocolate chocolate chip would work as well...it wouldn't take much.

I walked into the classroom and there were many smiling students. I glanced over to the counter...no cookies. They were never delivered, so yet again I did not break my fast.

I thought about this today on the way home from work. God knew I was weak. We all have our temptations. And that saying? God never gives you more than you can handle? He knew I couldn't handle this. :-) You could say the first day was just a fluke...but two days in a row?

I think times like these just reinforce...God will take care of myself and my family. God won't give me more than I can handle. Cookies may seem small and no big thing...but in the great big scheme He was reminding me of His grace and His love. He loved me enough to take those darn cookies away so that I may be successful.

So even if I wanted that cookie...God knows my heart. He knows I have a deep desire to be successful in this endeavor.

1 comment:

Janette said...

That is so awesome when you're reminded that God is there and in total control -- and has YOUR best interest at heart -- even in the smallest of matters such as missing cookies!! Good luck in your journey -- been there and am still there -- and it is NOOOO fun!! In fact, lately, I honestly just find myself becoming more and more frustrated to be honest!! I try and try -- and feel like I'm in quick sand...and accomplishly absolutely nothing other than utter burn-out due to zero results. Oh-Well! :)