Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Miriam and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Run

As I've mentioned before, it has been working pretty well for me to run whenever the Lord tells me too.  I know...weird...if you don't live that way.  I'm ok with being weird.

But...

I have to share this in the interest of "keeping it real", something I believe I frequently mention here.

Saturday I had an amazing run.  I went 4.25 miles, set some personal records and I felt like I could have probably kept running.  I did take a walk break at the 3 mile mark, but I was OK with that.  I actually did mostly to ensure I had a strong last mile.  (I did feel like I could have kept going slowly without the walk break...which has its merits!)

I beamed all weekend long about that run.  It was just that good.  

Monday rolled around and I went for yet another run.  This particular day, I was pretty amazed how things worked out.  I woke up late, pumped, did some laundry, made Rebekah's lunch (I had forgotten the night before)...and still got out in time to run.  Amazing really and a testament that the Lord is the keeper of our time...when we let Him.

Wed rolled around and I didn't particularly feel like running.  The Lord didn't tell me to go...or not go...so my defacto choice is normally to go.  But because I didn't feel like going, I was fighting that choice.  I knew deep in my heart it was the right thing to do.  So I went.  I got out there even a little earlier than normal.

And I ran.

It was a horrible run.  My legs felt like led, it was dark the ENTIRE time (which I don't mind for the first 1/3-1/2 but after that I'm ready for at least the light to be peaking out!) and I simply wasn't "feeling" it.  I pushed and pushed hard.  I wanted to walk every step of the way.  (Honestly - I may have if I felt like I had the time...but knowing I needed to get home and get ready for work pushed me along.)  I hated this run fiercely.  It has been awhile since I've had THAT bad (and hated) of a run.

I have been pondering this ever since.  What makes a good run?  And how fascinating that you can run in the same conditions, but emerge feeling great about one run and horrible about the other!  Aren't feelings a funny thing? 



And in case you haven't read it, you should check out Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad day...awesome book!


No comments: