Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The get-well book

This happened awhile ago and I've been meaning to write about it for awhile.  Rebekah was due to have her first overnight at a friend's house.  She had this same friend over during Christmas break for their first sleep over.  Rebekah was excited to be going and joining her friend.

It turned out that her friend was sick and so the sleep over was post-poned.  Rebekah was dismayed at first.  I pointed out that her friend was sick - so it wasn't like she just changed her mind.  And that her friend was just as sad as she was that they were having to post-pone.  Rebekah tapped her little index finger by the corner of her mouth, thoughtfully starring at the ceiling.  "What if...what if...what if I were to write her a get well BOOK?"

"A book?" I said in surprise.  "Really?  A book?"

"Yes mom - because it takes an entire book to tell E how much I love her!"

And that is the type of friend Rebekah is.  She has two best friends - both she has known since she was a baby herself.  That isn't really why they are BFF's, just the natural evolution of friendship has evolved into that.  And she is fiercely loyal and perfectly content to have these two BFF's. 

As a person who carries around a lot of baggage from my youth, I worry most that she will fit in.  I want her to fit in and I want her to have a lot of friends.  For some reason this year at school this has taken awhile - but she seems to finally be fitting in.  This has been a huge relief for me.

Rebekah loves her siblings dearly - although Peter is SO SMITTEN with Ruth that it sometimes hurts Rebekah's feelings.  BUT - just yesterday those two were curled up on the couch together.  Rebekah just needs occasional gentle reminders that she is in fact loved.

I'm blessed all my kids love each other.  That they get along and be a close knit group has been my biggest desire for them.  When they grow up, I want them to be able to count on one another.  It is just plain awesome to see that formed as the kids grow up.

No comments: