Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Post-Layoff Blues

We had layoffs today at work. I have been saying for awhile that one was coming. I've worked there long enough to know...I even said it would happen in Jan or Feb. Sometimes I wish I was wrong.

I received a meeting notice from my manager around 9:30 for 10:00 AM. It was for everyone who reported to him, which confused me. So I "jabbered" him (sent him a message through instant messenger) and asked him if there was a management shift or if there were layoffs. He laughed and made some joke (normal for him).

During the time I waited I sent my friend a message, telling him about the weirdo meeting. I also told him that typically these meetings weren't good news. He said he was curious, and noted his manager had scheduled a special meeting with him the day before. I told him that was just a normal meeting.

When I walked into the meeting room the slide was up on the project screen...REDUCTION IN FORCE...three little words that bring terror to every employees heart. As I sat there listening to my manager talk about it, I remembered the "special" meeting my friend's manager scheduled with him.

I hurried back to my desk to see if there was any word from my friend...none. I left him a message on jabber and waited. He stopped by and confirmed what I already knew in my heart...that he had been laid off.

I have no idea why they chose him. He is an excellent worker (anyone need someone in the technical field?? experienced in multiple OSes and storage systems!), was committed to his job, learned new things quickly. I'll never understand why they chose him. I believe they made a mistake...but who am I? I know these decision are difficult and it is times like these that reinforce in my mind I'm not sure I ever want to be in management.

I hope my friend finds a new job fairly quickly...one that makes him happy and where he is appreciated.

I thought a lot about the entire thing while I pumped later in the day. And soon an idea creeped in my head. I needed a new monitor. I have been gunning for a new monitor for months. I even frequently joked with my friend that I was going to take one of his because he had two. After I was done pumping I stopped by and talked to my manager.

I told him I wasn't sure how to ask, and didn't want to come across heartless...and then I asked. He laughed and told me life goes on...and that I better grab them quick. So I did. At least I have not just one new monitor...but TWO!

I'll miss my friend. He was a great coworker, definitely someone I could rely on for good information. Good luck to him...and all the rest of you who are finding yourselves in similar situations!

3 comments:

John said...

Aww, I am such a sap. I cried reading this and then I laughed. Enjoy the monitors! I'll miss killing time in your cube. Your productivity should increase without me bothering you now!

Catman said...

The company I work for has had RIF several times. It always freaks me out when it happens.

Usually, it's LIFO, Last In, First Out, but sometimes it seems a wee bit random, like maybe there's someone lurking in the shadows with a knife just waiting to get back at certain employees.

I went through the offices of one of the distribution centers that I service.

A sea of empty cubicles. It was weird.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

ahh, the "ol'3-0". I remember that!
It only gets better, girl! It is said that 33 (the Mystical age!) to 37 or so are our best years, productively, creatively.. it is definitely a time of mind-paradigm shift.(having 'been there' I speak from experience.) It IS a great time, an entering of a new era in many aspects.

Don't fret, youngster! (And it seems you ain't!)[Fretting, that is...:)] Married life can be great; children truly are! A blessing beyond any imaginable, ain't they?

Best wishes. And you Go girl, on TWO screens!!! ha!

Slainte!

Cygnus