Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

AB&J Sandwiches

Lunch has become a difficult thing for me.  I can't eat out every day (seriously, who can afford that?) and I certainly don't have time to prepare a fancy meal.  Top it off, the nutritionist I spoke with several months ago said this should be one of my larger meals of the day.

When it is - I do notice eating a much smaller dinner is easier.

But who has time for a large lunch?  Ya know, when you aren't eating out?  In the past, I would eat a simple Lean Cuisine.  Pop it in the microwave, they were overall pretty yummy.  Lots of flavors, so I don't get bored.  And this was enough for me.

But this isn't a large lunch.  And anymore, it creates havoc with my system if this is all I eat.  I really need to eat more at lunch to sustain me for the day.

So I have been looking for things to take WITH my little LC.  Something that doesn't require a lot of prep time.  Something easily tote-able.  Something that tastes good even after sitting for 5 hrs or so until lunch.

I love salads, but they simply do not work for me.  I can't seem to find a good salad recipe that travels well and stays fresh for that long.  Last week I had some crab salad that tasted pretty yummy.  But a week of crab salad, and I was done.  So this week I wandered the grocery store until I found something that looked like it would work.

The first thing I bought were these:

I had heart about them before, and had originally planned to maybe have my breakfast turkey sandwich on them.  As you can see, for someone who can't handle a lot of carbohydrates, these are perfect.  My regular turkey sandwiches are working for me for breakfast, but I thought I would give them a try.


Then I wandered down the coffee/tea/PB&J isle, and noticed they had Almond Butter.  I have been wanting to try it, so I thought I'd give AB&J's a try as a supplement.  With the thin buns, I thought the carbohydrates might be low enough with the thin buns, that it would be OK.  And so, I also got my FAVORITE jelly. 

This jelly is so completely awesome.  The ingredient list is pretty much fruit and fruit pectin.  If you have ever looked at the ingredients of a jelly, this is pretty amazing.  It is a little pricey, but I think completely worth it.


First day my blood sugar was 100 (remember, 120 2 hrs after eating), but I didn't get to check it until about 2.5 hrs.  Today, it was 87 exactly 2 hrs after eating.  So I think the AB&J's are a hit...at least for now.  I am finding that foods are good for a period of time for me.  BUT - I already had a love of PB&J's and this is very similar.  Not only that, it satisfies a sweet tooth. :-)  And I definitely have one of those!

Oh - and this same company makes some chocolate almond butter.  I'd love to give it a try, but it is a bit higher in the sugar department, and I'm not really willing to risk it.  Maybe later. :-)

2 comments:

Kelly G said...

Try what I call summer salad, only because the veggies are only cheap enough to make it in the summer. Cut up tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and add either extra virgin olive oil/vinegar salt and pepper to taste go easy and just use italian dressing. It actually tastes better if it sits for a while (chilled, so just use an ice pack). Also try fruit salad, though I don't know how fruits affect your blood sugar. Also have you tried nuts with yogurt? It's a nice side to a sandwich.

Miriam said...

I will have to give the summer salad a try! :-) I usually have fruit for an afternoon snack (it is fine in moderation), as they are easy to pack and store well. Sometimes I don't get to eat my afternoon snack! :-) And I really wish I liked yogurt...life would be so much simpler. If it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it (and other things not good for me), I have a tendency to NOT like it.

Thanks for the summer salad tip! I will definitely give this a try!