Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Peter's First Dentist

Peter had his first dentist appointment this last week.  Six months ago at Rebekah's last appointment, I took Peter so he could see the place.  This often helps him be comfortable, if he knows what to expect.  What I didn't expect was for him to get MAD because he didn't get a turn on the seat.

Who would have thunk.

And THIS time, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I guess all our chatting about the dentist paid off, as he was just as eager this time.

Rebekah took her turn first, to help prepare Peter.
 
She did amazingly well.  She was a bit reserved last visit about a few things, but this time she handled everything like a complete pro.  AND...she had the works (pictures, cleaning and bubbles).

You know - in the above picture she looks particularly tall to me.  *sigh*  I'm glad my kids aren't staying little, but I'm not sure I'm happy they are growing SO FAST either!!!

Peter was itching for his turn.  He was MAD he had to wait.  Oi - some people are just never happy.  This dentist has TVs on the ceiling for the kids to watch.  Peter chose "Cars" for his show.  (Rebekah had chosen Dora...gag cough cough.)

 
He also let them do everything they wanted too/needed too.  He didn't get Xrays this time (they don't like to overwhelm them the first visit), but he sure as heck let them do more than Rebekah did on her first visit.  I think it helps having a big sis for an example...especially one you adore and trust implicitly as Peter does his.  :-)

 
One thing they tell the kids is that the dentist has to count their teeth. (This is the actual examine.)  The dentist asked Peter how many he thought he had...he told her 5.  LOL

The result for both kids is that Rebekah still has a would-be cavity that they have been watching for about 1.5 yrs.  She was on the fence about it needing filled this time, but was willing to give it another 6 mo to see what happens.  We chose the wait and see approach.

Peter was cavity free, but we were told his teeth were even tighter than Rebekah's.  In kid-teeth world, this is not good.  Without GOOD brushing and flossing, they are much higher risk for cavities.

So my kids still don't get chewy candy except on special occasions.  Also, William and I are trying to be better about US actually flossing their teeth...at least every few days. 

OH - and Rebekah's gray tooth (result from a collision at school) is still healthy...just discolored.  It will probably remain that way until she looses it.  I think we could have it bleached...but honestly I don't see a point.  Front teeth are usually pretty close to the first ones lost...and typically baby teeth begin falling out between the ages of 5-7 or so.  SO...worse case she'll have it for another 2, maybe 3 years.  I think we can deal with it?  At least it is healthy.  That is the  important thing.  (I'd like to note she doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact it is discolored...if she was, we totally would do it.)

Well, at least that is all over with for another 6 mo! :-)

No comments: