- Eat a good (healthy) breakfast in the 250-300 calorie range. (For the guys in our group, they got a few extra calories - lucky ducks! :-) )
- Work in 30 minutes cardio 5 times.
- Do a food log for 3 days.
I've got #1 mastered. Turns out my breakfast I was already eating is in that range. Ok - I cut out the morning hot cocoa to get it there...but still. I wasn't very far off. (My hot cocoa is made with no-sugar added Nesquick!) So that was a relief I had very little work there.
According to a study (quoted by Chantel) done by Havard, something like 70% of non-breakfast eaters struggle with weight. Out of the 6 group participants, only 2 of us ate breakfast. So I think that is pretty telling.
With THAT said, I thought I'd share some of the suggestions for breakfast.
- Oatmeal. It is jam packed with nutrients and is a wonderful complex carb. Pair it with a protein (turkey sausage anyone?) and you have a perfect breakfast. Just make sure to watch the sugar content. Many pre-packaged oatmeals are super high in sugar.
- Hard boiled eggs. They are a great grab-n-go! Boil a bunch at the beginning of the week, and you are ready to go!
- Scrambled egg beaters in a tortilla. (Throw a little salsa on there and this is actually pretty good...the eggs in tortilla's was something Chantel mentioned. The rest is something I'm throwing out there because I've done it before. :-))
- If you don't like egg beaters, toss a regular egg in with the egg beaters.
- Protein shakes. Make them yourself to control sugar content. Generally, the prepackaged stuff has way too much. (BTW - Chantel mentioned that drinks like Ensure are given to sick folks in the hospital to help them gain weight. SO...if you are trying to loose weight - you probably don't want to drink the same stuff!)
- Whole grain English muffin w/peanut butter.
- Pick a healthy non-breakfast food. This wasn't mentioned in the meeting...but one of my favorite breakfast meals while pregnant was a turkey sandwich complete with lettuce and tomato. Sometimes you just have to cross those lines!
I'm of course trying to figure out #2. This is my largest hurdle. I've been parking in the back of the parking lot (for starters). I have a friend at work who would like to get more walking in...I just need to pick several times a day to grab her and go walking for 10-15 minutes at a time. So I'll just have to keep you posted on that one. I'm going to have to really think about this one - and I will probably have to make some difficult choices along the way. You know...like get up at 4 AM.
#3 - I'll post my food log for Wed, Thur and Fri after I email it to Ms. Chantel. :-) I might as well hang it all out there. Riiiiiight? Plus - it will be interesting to see my food log at the beginning and take another one at the end.