Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Looking through a keyhole

Have you ever looked through a keyhole?  I actually haven't - but I have this image in my head...of trying to see the full scene of a room, but the view is hampered and limited by just being able to see only so much at a time...like a keyhole.

Sometimes I feel this is what it is like trying to see the Lord's full plan.

About a month ago I was part of a Bible study.  In the study we discussed community, what it meant and how we grow it (so to speak - this is a very shortened synopsis!).  As we discussed, we were trying to figure out something we could do as a group to lift up and build our church community.  Someone piped up that the Lord told Him to build a lawn ornament for one of the members of our church.  More discussions and we were settled, this is what we were going to do.

I thought it was odd - why would God care if this person has a lawn ornament?  I thought about it and thought about it...the question rolling around in my head like a marble.

At a Christmas dinner for our church I stood waiting for William in a hallway.  One of the other members involved with the group and the making of the lawn ornament stopped and we chatted.  One particular person was very central in the building and design.  He is also newer member of our church.  The member I was chatting with commented "I bet he doesn't know what he has gotten himself into!  He is now the official church carpenter!"  And before I knew it...I replied "Oh, I bet he loves it."

As the words slipped out of my mouth that keyhole peep came into view.  Sure, the member who received the ornament was blessed...she loved it.  But...the real purpose had to do with our new carpenter friend.  It was to show case his talents, allow us to get to know him better, help this gentleman become a more integrated part of our community.  He too was blessed.

I don't know why that was so important - but it was important enough for the Lord to orchestrate it.  I'm curious to see how by the end of the year this particular event will become relevant - because it has been on my mind.  And I'm certain it will.

No comments: