Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Don't mind the obsessed pregnant lady...

I can be a bit obsessive when I'm pregnant.  I mean, I'm a planner anyway.  But when I'm pregnant...I seem to focus in on planning times 10.  It is crazy really (but we all know pregnant women are crazy...I know this...).  I've been trying this time around to NOT do this.

This month has been crazy. Work has been crazy. Home has been crazy.  And of course...as previously mentioned...I'm already crazy. 

For work - I've been trying to get some things wrapped up.  I'm starting to realize I need to simply LET GO.  Of course it isn't easy - but I've been TRYING to be pickier about what I focus my time on.

For home - I've had a lot of appointments.  I had one sick kid visit, one well kid visit and I still have an eye dr appt.  Add in valentines...and honestly it means a lot of missed work.  Work hasn't minded...but that doesn't mean *I* don't mind.  After all...I'm already feeling a burden at work to get some things wrapped up.  Vicious cycle really.

Monday was P's well child visit.  I hadn't even actually SEEN the time, because it was actually rescheduled via phone.  I had asked them the previous week when it was.  I had heard them say it twice on the phone.  I had notes that said "2:50".  I waltzed into the appointment, beaming really, because not only had I made it on time...but I was early.  The lady looked at me and said "You missed the appointment." 

"Beg your pardon?"
"Yes, you missed your appointment.  It was at 2:15.  I don't think the doctor can see you now."
[Me panicking]

We received a letter in the mail saying our doctor was leaving the practice.  I surmised he was retiring.  He's an older gentleman.  My main question for him was simply...WHICH of these doctor's do you recommend the most?  I didn't know if I'd get a real answer, but I thought it was worth asking.  The doctor had about a month left and was taking some time off too.  Plus...the baby will be here very soon.

"We have an opening March 4th."
"This baby is due March 6th.  I don't think that is a good idea."

I'll give her credit.  I told her I wanted to see the doc before he left and preferably before this baby is born.  She made it happen with some finagling.  I really really appreciate that.

The only downside was that the appointment was scheduled for Thursday.  "Sure - NO PROBLEM!" I said with a sigh of relief that everything was going to be ok.

On the way out the car...it dawned on me.  Thursday...February 14th...VALENTINES DAY!!!  Parties!  Commitments!  This was NO GOOD!

I was pretty upset with myself.

But I knew I didn't have much choice.  Dear Lord, I prayed, please figure this out for me.  I can't.  But I'm SO SAD that this is working out this way!

I emailed Rebekah's teacher and told her I wouldn't make it.  Then I did a little searching for a game idea and I sent it to her.  She loved it.

Thursday came and I took off from work.  A very busy and hectic day at work.

First, I found out my doctor was not retiring (as I had surmised).  He was relocating and would be opening his own practice.  AND we'd get to KEEP HIM!  HOORAY!  Best news all day.

We also got done in time for Peter to attend his party.  He didn't really miss out on any activities.

I received an email from Rebekah's teacher telling me the game was a HUGE HIT with the kids.  While I would have loved to have seen it, providing the game made me feel just as warm and fuzzy.

Ruth lost her balloon (which she adored) but William saved the day by stopping and getting a new one for her on the way home.

When I reflect on my day, Proverbs 3:6 comes to mind.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

~ Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) 

My path doesn't get much straighter than that.

1 comment:

4 is More said...

Valentine's Day is such a stressful time for working moms!! So glad that it all worked out okay...and that you get to keep your doctor. :)

ps. the appointment getting rescheduled thing would really annoy me too - "50" and "15" sound EXACTLY the same over the phone!