Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm not dead...just tired

Things have been busy.

And...I keep falling asleep putting the kids to bed.

So that leaves me with little free evening time! I will say...I've done an excellent job at getting up to work out early in the morning. (This is the start of week 3 of getting up at 5:00 AM...and since the beginning of Jan there was only one FLOP week where I didn't work out at least 3 times!) Go me. I think as far as cardio goes, I'm outgrowing the Wii, but I don't really know what to do about it. We don't have our treadmill anymore. I'm not a fan of them anyway. I'm hoping maybe when it warms up a bit, I can actually motivate myself to go running around the neighborhood. Motivation is probably not the right word...logistically I've had trouble picturing it. I'm a picture person...I'm not very good at just trying something. I have to believe at least half way that there is a possibility it will work.

When it isn't dark at 6:00 PM, I can definitely see myself taking the kids on walks more...it is good for them to get outside anyway. :-)

And today...I fell off the "give up Starbucks" wagon. After three nights of poor sleep, I felt I deserved a treat. Why poor sleep? I don't know. Sat night Peter was up every 1-2 hrs. I finally suctioned his nose (to which he just chatted with me about...I expected a fit but other than occasionally funny looks he was content to chat it up with me!), and that seemed to help a bit. Last night, Peter was up, Rebekah was up, Peter was up, Peter was up, Peter was up...the life of an infant. I keep reminding myself that I'll miss it someday. Right? I'll miss it?

I have a large undertaking ahead of me. I feel squashed and frozen. Sort of like "How ever am I going to lift this boulder?" But my pastor said it perfectly yesterday when he said that boulders are never meant for us to burden alone. He even used the term "boulder". :-P And so...I'm waiting. I can't move it, I can't lift it. So until God decides its time...I guess I'm stuck in this one place. :-) (And for those of you that are my "church family"...yes I'm looking at my wineskin to see if I need a new one...but I think I just got this one? ;-))

I'm abusing "..." and "()". I just noticed. Oh well. Sorry...English majors (tee hee). :-P

OH! And since I'm typing...I've started The Time Traveler's Wife. I love it. I read 150 pages this weekend. I feel so good about myself when I read...probably because I really enjoy it and for some reason reading makes me feel smart. So far...I have the following questions...


***SPOILER ALERT***






1) Is this guy really time travelling or is he living in his own loony world? I guess there is the possibility that Clair is the crazy one...except somehow she doesn't seem crazy.
2) The relationship between Clair and Henry...it seem a little weird. She also seems to skip from "parental figure" to "love interest" with very little in between. WHY does she loves him so much? The whole "because I've known him since I was 6" isn't flying.
3) Clair doesn't seem to have much of a choice in any of this. Sometimes neither does Henry...but Clair seems like an innocent bystander. Will she regret that?
4) Can Henry ever learn to control himself (if he really is a time traveler)? Since there is a Dr. involved, and apparently there are others, it seems like he ought to be able too. It is not lost on me that we have not seen a Henry past the mid-40's. (I want to say 46, but there are lots of 36's...so that might be why, I know a 40 for sure). Could this be why?
5) We all have choices to make in life, no matter the circumstance. Henry seems to have taken a turn where he doesn't care about other people (in general -- not counting those that are his "friends"...which apparently so far he has three...Clair, Gomez and himself). What has made him this way? Running around naked etc...I get the stealing. I do not get the brutally beating people thing.
6) What happened to Henry's relationship with his dad? I know the mom is gone...but is there more too it? (I don't think the one "incident" would do it...there must be more!)
7) Henry doesn't watch enough TV...he does not know the time traveling rules that Dr. Who has stated so clearly. He obviously should have watched that show more... ;-)

OK, the last one was really a statement. I also find it interesting there is are "god" themes in this book...does He exist? I'm interested in what they conclude. Hopefully the book doesn't leave that hanging, since it has been discussed several times.

**** END SPOILER ALERT****

I'm looking forward to discussing this with my book club. :-)

1 comment:

Charity said...

By "bookclub" do you mean me? I just started a thread for you/us to discuss at will. You crack me up.

My main advice is just keep reading. It gets "weirder" and "better" and a lot of your questions about free will will be addressed as he learns to navigate.