Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes it is for you...

Of course yesterday was Sunday. Our pastor has been talking about prayer, and I've really been enjoying it. Sometimes, you learn more from certain subjects than others. Just an unfortunately truth.

Yesterday he talked about perseverance and spoke about the widow who was persistent with a judge.


Luke 18:1-8 (NIV)

1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

The point was that we aren't to give up. Sometimes God doesn't move when we believe He should...and sometimes His waiting is to help us learn something about ourselves.

The day before William and I discussed our house. We thought maybe we ought to stay...maybe we weren't REALLY supposed to sell like we thought. We talked about things we'd do with the house. Talked about our neighbors (which we LOOOOVE!). Sometimes it is just plain hard to know what it is God wants ya know? Especially when where you are at, you like.

And boom...this is the message in Sunday. William and I just looked at each other and said "Ok, we get the point." So what is God teaching us?

I'll speak for myself...cuz I have no idea what God is teach William. ;-) God is teaching me to let my husband lead. Ya know...as a strong willed independent woman, it is hard. I want to control everything...it is my nature. (Yeah - so why DID you make me that way God? HA HA!) It has been a learning experience to say "Sure thing William, whatever you think!"

Secondly, God is teaching me to be MORE dependent on Him. I sure thought I was...but dang it, apparently I had a lot to learn! I'm used to making things happen and this, I can not. It is something like an ant pushing up against a boulder...

So we learned a thing or two...and our house is still for sale. I'm sure we will learn more, because obviously God is teaching us many things. It is uncomfortable, but I'll take it. God doesn't dish out dirt! And every day in the car He has been reminding me that it will all be OK in the end. So I focus on that.

I'm also learning to live in the "here and now". I've spent SO much of my life waiting for this or that...it is a by-product of always being in transition and never living in one place for very long. And I'm tired of being in transition. When we bought our house I intended to live here for a looooong time. Ya know, more than 4 years? So I guess I'm learning to live a non-transitional life while my life is transitional. How's that food for thought? So far...it really includes not looking too far into the future...which is hard for me. I'm a dreamer by nature.

So I'm not looking in the future, living here today and trusting God will take care of tomorrow. It is so easy to type...

1 comment:

Janette said...

EXCELLENT post, Miriam!!!