Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Rebekah!!

For each kid, I like to take the day off with them and hang out...doing whatever they want.  THIS year, I was nervous about it simply because the kids are still recovering from their trip to OK last weekend (an entirely different post).  And I've been dealing with two cranky (with a capital C!) kids all week.

BUT...today turned out just fine.  I'll post about our day some other time as well (yes, the posts are stacking up!).  Really, I wanted to reflect on the past year and the fact that this is the anniversary of my becoming a mother.

5 years and minus 1 day, I was at work.  I had spent most of the pregnancy wondering if I'd be a good mother, if I'd love my child, if the baby would be healthy.  All normal first-time mom worries.  I ended up being induced and a smooth delivery the next day.  My first contraction was at 8:00 and she was born at 4:15 PM...all in a days work I say!

This last 5 years of motherhood have been an adventure.  Rebekah has always made it easy on me.  She is such an easy going child.  When she grows up, I expect she will be that sweet person that is always there to help you when you need it.  My goal as a mother is to teach her to use this gift, but protect herself at the same time.  She is so sweet and giving, that it will be easy for others to take advantage of her.

Probably the most difficult time in parenting I have right now with her is the fact she is very good at tuning me out.  I can completely understand this, as I used this tactic against my mother as well. ;-)  But I need a good way to handle it.  Timeouts don't really work.  Taking marbles (our reward system) doesn't work.  And in the meantime it gets frustrating.  But this too shall past.

And I see the moments I have with her as fleeting.  Before I know it, she will be moving out and going off to college...starting her own life. 

Life is so short.  And children are a reminder of that.  They also are a reminder of the joys and to slow down with life.  Savor it.  Enjoy the moment.

No comments: