Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wellness Warriors: Week 2

I am on week 2 of Wellness Warriors.  This morning I got to listen to one of my group mates on the Mornings with Brant show discussing how things are going and what changes she has made thus far.  It was pretty neat.  (I think we are all going to be asked to speak on the show...which makes me entirely nervous.)  Chantel is on Way-FM every Wed. morning...I'm not sure of the time but I usually catch her at 7:30 or 8:00 AM.  Tune in!  (You can listen online if you do not have Way-FM in your area OR if you do not have the Mornings with Brant show in your area!)
From last week, I fared OK. After my disastrous workout on Tuesday, I've taken a new approach.  Monday I got up at 4 AM.  That is not a typo.  I pumped first and then worked out and TA DA - I made it through the day.  I did go to bed a little earlier, but that is OK by me.  What do I have better to do?  Watch TV?  ;-)  And as my loving husband said..."It is just for a season."  I told him he was an inspiration for me making the leap, and he replied "Well, that wasn't really what I meant when I said that..." LMHO!  Just goes to show you that you can be supportive without intending to be supportive! :-P

Today - I did get up at 4 AM but was greeted by baby Ruth saying "Moooooommmmmy!  I'm awaaaaaake!  And I'm pretty darn cuuuuuuute!  You can't resist me!  Come get me!"  So I got her and curled back up in bed with her.  All moms with cute babies surely can understand this and would have made the exact same choice. :-P  I have given myself the freedom to be flexible - something Chantel noted was important for moms with babies. But don't fret - I walked 30 minutes with my friend after we finished up eating lunch.  We actually had such a great time (and she has been wanting to fit more exercise into her schedule) that we thought we'd make it a regular thing.  You know - anytime we don't go out to eat.

And also from last week, here is my food journal as promised.

Wednesday
Breakfast:  Two pumpkin spice pancakes (approx 80 calories per pancake), two turkey sausage links (35 calories per sausage) and water.  Total:  230
Lunch:  Salad: about 3 cups spinach, 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 cup lightly sauteed mushrooms (with garlic), 1/4 cup Blue Cheese dressing, some broccoli and cauli (maybe 1/2 cup)
Snack:  Canned fruit in pear juice (210 calories)
Dinner:  2 chicken enchiladas (small -they were made with low-carb taco tortillas), raw broccoli/cauli with blue cheese dipping
Snack:  Peanut Butter Crunch cereal  Not a normal snack for me.  Every great once in awhile I get a hankering for cereal.



Thursday

Breakfast:  Two pumpkin spice pancakes (approx 80 calories per pancake), two turkey sausage links (35 calories per sausage) and water.  Total:  230
Lunch:  Salad: about 3 cups spinach, 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 cup lightly sauteed mushrooms (with garlic), 1/4 cup Blue Cheese dressing
Snack:  None
One thing I learned while pregnant, is that I need to eat large lunches and often a snack during the afternoon in order to not be starving for dinner.  The better balance of calories helped me balance my blood sugar.  If at dinner I am starving, my eating simply goes down hill...and that is exactly what happened this evening.  I forgot my snack for the day.  Work vending machines are filled with candy bars (labeled as heart healthy...seriously), chips and cookies.  The cafeteria used to have fresh fruit, nuts and other healthier options, but they stopped selling it recently.  Now they have junk food disguised as healthy...example, chocolate covered raisins packaged in such a way it looks like it should be "healthy". I didn't have any time at work anyway to stop and figure out what to eat in the afternoon, otherwise I may have run across the street to the gas station which DOES sell fresh fruit.

While cooking dinner...
5 "bites"of cereal (about like a spoonful)
3 "bunches" of crackers (probably more - I didn't really count.  I recall at least 3 though.)
Dinner: 2 Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato Sandwich. First one had mayo, two pieces of bacon, 1 slice of tomato and 1 lettuce; Second had may, 1 bacon plus a bunch of little pieces (probably another whole bacon's worth), 2 slices of tomato and 1 lettuce; Hummus and a bunch of crackers.
Snack:  None  I'm not sure what to do with the evening snack.  I had to eat a snack when I was pg, otherwise my blood sugar was high in the morning.  I didn't eat a snack previous to that...and funny enough, it was tough to get into the habit.  I've thought about getting rid of it, but wasn't sure which was the healthier route.  Sometimes it is easier for me to eat a smaller dinner if I know I will get a snack later.  And to clarify, I do not have anymore blood sugar issues.  This particular evening I did not have a snack because I fell asleep super early. :-)  And I ate a pretty big dinner.



Friday

Breakfast:  Two pumpkin spice pancakes (approx 80 calories per pancake), two turkey sausage links (35 calories per sausage) and diet pepsi.  Total:  230
Lunch: Chicken cordon blue sandwich (from a restaurant, not sure what was all on it besides chicken, ham and some sort of cheese spread), 2 bites of pasta salad (didn't like it), 3 potato chips (they weren't mine), diet Pepsi

Snack:  Canned fruit in pear juice (210 calories)
Dinner: 2.5 cheesy chicken strips (chicken with a creamy Dijon mustard and topped with provolone cheese), steamed broccoli lightly buttered (about a cup)
Snack:  No-sugar added ice cream (fudge and peanut butter flavored) - about a cup, but only because that was all that was left :-) A few crackers and some water.

And there...that is it in its unedited form. Thursday was my worse day. And snack Friday was pretty miserable. I don't normally eat so many crackers.

This week we have 1 food assignment and 1 exercise assignment.  I'm detecting a pattern here!

Food:  Eat a healthy, 200 calorie snack in the morning.
Exercise:  Make 1 of your work-outs an intense can't-hardly-catch-your-breath sort of workout.

Some interesting points I learned...
  • To loose 1 pound, it takes a 3500 calorie deficit.  (This means about 500 calories a day to loose about a pound a week.)
  • It is healthiest to eat at least half your calories by lunch.  I'm not sure if she meant by lunch or for lunch...I would like to get some clarification on this point.
  • You never hear someone complaining that they got fat by eating fresh fruit and veggies.  Fruits do contain a certain amount of natural sugar...so of course you shouldn't over indulge on them!
  • Your body doesn't require and wasn't designed for large amounts of simple carbohydrates.
The last point especially hit home, as I've been trying to incorporate more veggies in our daily diets...particularly at dinner.  The family is getting tired of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.  So I've taken to reading various vegan blogs.   I figure vegans know how to do veggies - don't you think?

And on THAT note you'll notice I've posted some of my favorite food blogs on the right.  The top two are the two I read the most often.  The last is actually written by a friend.

The last point is something I've already been working at doing - reducing the amount of simple carbs and increasing complex carbs.  What is the difference?  Boils down to fibre.  Simple carb examples:  bread, pasta, white rice.  Complex:  Brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread.  I just read today that some bread companies put molasses in their bread to make them appear whole wheat when the aren't!!! Why in tar-nation would they do that?  (Forgive me - I don't recall where I read it.  This is an unsubstantiated claim that wouldn't surprise me if it were true!)

Anyway - so I have to incorporate a mid-morning snack.  This week will be a hodge-podge of things I have laying around the house as I didn't really have a chance to get organized.  We brain stormed some snack ideas and she talked really fast.  :-P  Due to some technical issues, we ran short on time and went over the allotted time.  Hopefully everything will be on track for next week.

We were also told that profiles were going to be setup for us and we would be given space to blog over there.  I'm pretty excited about that too.  You know - I sorta like to write. 

Today I ran across this article:  Kansas placed 4th in worst diets.  The quote from the health department was rather lame and I think a symptom of the issue.  Kansas needs to catch up with the rest of the world on healthful eating.  I could have told you that.  But I'm not passionate enough about it to get on a street corner with a loud speaker.  Instead, I'll just talk everyone ears off that I know. ;-)

No comments: