Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Prepared for emergencies!

I don't talk about work much because there really isn't much to talk about.  I love my job.  I love the folks I work with.  I sometimes can't believe I'm paid as much as I am to do what I do...(which, is mostly answer email all day.  Really...what DID we do before email?  I have no clue!)

My vest and cube marker
After recently being bought out by another company, there have been lots of changes going on.  Some good, some ambivalent.  Some aren't even all that great...but aren't what I would call bad.  One change is that they put together a new Emergency Response Team (ERT).  An email went out asking for volunteers.  After attending an information session, I decided to join up.

We had training last week for the group.  In the training we learned some basics (like CPR and First-Aide) and also company policies on how we handle various situations.

The training was a lot of fun and I totally enjoyed my group!  An acquaintance of mine took the training at the same time and it gave me the opportunity to get to know her better - which I think was my absolute favorite part!

We also had some scenario training where they broke out the fake wounds, fake blood and bad acting.  I got to be a victim - and my story was "I didn't know what it was!"  I could totally picture my kids doing this...oh wait, they HAVE!  OK - not the pencil-in-the-hand bit, but you know...doing something dumb and then giving that lame excuse.

Anyway...for my scenario I had to pass out and "stop breathing" shortly after I was attended too.  That was FUN...I made them catch me. ;-)  Luckily I was on the ground already. HAHA!

After two days of information overload (during what turned out to be a phenomenally busy time at work...which added to the stress), I am now officially an ERT member.  Whenever there is an emergency I'll get a text on my phone and off I go.  The biggest thing we learned is:

Badge bling + bright vest = happy me!
S top.  Don't go rushing in.
E nivronment.  Check it out for hazards...you don't want to cause injury to yourself too.  Don't forget to look UP!
T raffic.  Be aware of it and keep an eye out for it!
U nknown.  There could be additional hazards you aren't aware of!
P rotection.  Be sure to put on appropriate equipment to protect you and the patient. 

At least - that is what we practiced the most (besides CPR).  I took pages of notes, but of course I'm at home and don't have any.  Some of the statistics that I recall...

- If an AED (automated external defibrillator) is available, it increases the patients chances at living to 50%.  We got to practice using one...they are easy as pie.

- When a patient's heart stops beating, there is a 4-6 minute window before the brain begins to suffer permanent damage.  After 12 minutes, a miracle is required.

And one last tid bit...we talked about reasons people don't help.  One that resonated with me was "What if I do more damage?"  The bottom line is that when a person needs CPR, they are basically dead.  It doesn't get much worse than that...

I'm pretty excited.  As a graduate, I have an orange vest, an extra piece on my badge (so I'm easily recognized), and marker on my cube (so I can be easily found) and a huge fanny pack of supplies.  I also have the satisfaction of knowing I get to do something a little more at work...and help others when they need it most!

1 comment:

Janette said...

That sounds like a FUN opportunity! Maybe that's the "nursing school" student inside of me talking...the nursing school that I never was able to complete after being forced to stop. GREAT job for completing it -- I can so see you enjoying that group and doing a great job!!